COMPLEX ARGUMENTATION IN THE CONTEXT OF RHETORICAL STRUCTURE THEORY IN SCIENTIFIC DISCOURSE
The idea of the article is to provide the reader with some material on representation of S. Toulmin’s argumentation model with regards to rhetorical structure theory. On the ground of this model the concepts of argument and plea are determined. The former is viewed as a single semantic complex. The fundamental notions of discourse analysis associated with rhetorical structures theory are reviewed. The features of rhetorical relations are mentioned. Much attention is given to the distinction between subject matter and presentational relations. The layout of all rhetorical structures corresponding to S. Toulmin’s model is discussed. The category of evidentiality is taking into account as a factor to influence the type of rhetorical relation. The difference between deductive, inductive and rhetorical argumentation with regard to syllogism is analyzed. In order to specify the nature of rhetorical relations implicit discursive units were used. The definitions of different complex argumentative types are given. The author draws reader’s attention to the difference between the structure of convergent argumentation and several types of linked one. The role of implicit elements in rhetorical structured is determined. The paper is illustrated with fragments of scientific papers in the field of acoustics.
Susov, A.A. (2006). Mnogourovnevyj analiz ritoricheskoy struktury [Mulilevel analisys of rhetorical structure]. Tverskoy lingvisticheskiy meridian, 6, 23 – 54.
Green, T., Katiri, S., Faulkner, A. & Talker Rosen, S. (2007) Talker intelligibility differences in cochlear implant listeners. Journal of the Acoustic Society of America, 121(6), 223-229. doi: 10.1121/1.2720938
Kardous, C.A. & Shaw, P. B. (2014). Evaluation of smartphone sound measurement applications . Journal of the Acoustic Society of America, 135 (4), 186-192. doi: 10.1121/1.4865269.
Mann, W. C. & Thomson, S. (1988). Rhetorical Structure theory: toward a functional theory of text organization. Text, 8 (3), 243-281.
Phillips D. P., Dingle R. N., Hall S. E. & Jang M. (2012) Dual mechanisms in the perceptual processing of click train temporal regularity. Journal of the Acoustic Society of America, 132 (1), 22-28. doi: 10.1121/1.4728193.
Zhang Z. J., Yuan N., & Liu R. (2005) 1-D inversion of triaxial induction logging in layered anisotropic formation. Progress in electromagnetic research, 44, 383-403.
Yang L. P. & Fu Q. J. (2005) Spectral subtraction-based enhancement for cochlear implant patients in background noise. Journal of the Acoustic Society of America, 117 (3), 1001-1004.
GOST Style Citations
1. Сусов А. А. Многоуровненвый анализ риторической структуры / А. А. Сусов. // Тверской лингвистический меридиан. Вып. 6. ‒ Тверь, 2006. С. 23-54.
2. Green T. Talker intelligibility differences in cochlear implant listeners / T. Green, S. Katiri, A. Faulkner, S. Rosen // Journal of the Acoustic Society of America. ‒ 2007. ‒ Vol. 121, №6. P. 223 – 229. doi: 10.1121/1.2720938
3. Kardous C.A. Evaluation of smartphone sound measurement applications / C. A. Kardous, P. B. Shaw // Journal of the Acoustic Society of America. ‒ 2014. ‒ Vol. 135, № 4. ‒ P. 186-192. doi: 10.1121/1.4865269.
4. Mann W. C. Rhetorical Structure theory: toward a functional theory of text organization / W. C. Mann, S. A. Thompson // Text. – 1988. – Vol. 8, №3. – P. 243-281.
5. Phillips D. P. Dual mechanisms in the perceptual processing of click train temporal regularity / D. P. Phillips, R. N. Dingle, S. E. Hall, M. Jang // Journal of the Acoustic Society of America. ‒ 2012. ‒ Vol. 132, №1. – P. 22-28. doi: 10.1121/1.4728193.
6. Zhang Z. J. 1-D inversion of triaxial induction logging in layered anisotropic formation / Z. J. Zhang, N. Yuan, R. Liu // Progress in electromagnetic research. – 2012. – Vol. 44. – P. 383-403.
7. Yang L.P. Spectral subtraction-based enhancement for cochlear implant patients in background noise / L.P. Yang, Q.J. Fu // Journal of the Acoustic Society of America. – 2005. – Vol. 117, №3. – P. 1001-1004.
- There are currently no refbacks.
Copyright (c) 2017 Journal of the National Technical University of Ukraine “KPI”: Philology and Educational Studies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
ISSN 2410-8278 (Online), ISSN 2307-1591 (Print)