VARK LEARNING STYLES IN VOCABULARY TEACHING
The article deals with vocabulary teaching and vocabulary acquisition in terms of student-centered learning. The teaching approach presumes that students influence learning process and it expresses humanistic paradigm in teaching. Students are not merely provided with necessary information but they have possibilities for self-development as well. Teachers play a very significant role in the teaching/learning process, as they should help students in the learning process taking into account the use of corresponding pedagogical and psychological approaches. Vocabulary teaching is one of the most important constituents of language learning as words convey the meaning of message. Many scholars pay attention to vocabulary teaching as it is an indispensible aspect of foreign language teaching especially in non-linguistic educational institutions where students need to learn specific terminology. Listening, speaking, reading and writing are interconnected aspects of vocabulary. In the teaching process it is necessary for a teacher to take into consideration visual, auditory, read/write and kinesthetic (VARK) learning styles. The use of all perception channels is strongly preferred. Different kinds of exercises can help to conduct lessons which are useful for all types of learners. Students are supposed to deal with tasks that require the use of their least preferred perception channel. The main task of a teacher is to help students to transfer vocabulary skills from one of its forms into another. Student-centered learning can be an effective means of using peculiarities of all kinds of learners in vocabulary teaching especially in teaching a foreign language for special purposes.
Birsh, J.R. (2011). Multisensory Teaching of Basic Language Skills. Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Company.
Collins, J.W. (2011). The Greenwood Dictionary of Education. Greenwood: ABC-CLIO, LLC.
Ellis, N.C. (1995). The Psychology of Foreign Language Vocabulary Acquisition: Implications for CALL. Hershey: IGI Publishing.
Felder, R.M. (1995). Learning and Teaching Styles in Foreign and Second Language Education. Application of the F-S learning style model to language education. Foreign Language Annals, 28 (1), 21-31.
Fleming, N.D. (2011). Teaching and learning styles: VARK strategies. Christchurch.
Kaplan, E.J. (1995). Teaching and learning styles: Which came first? Journal of Instructional Psychology, 22(1), 28-34.
Pikulski, J.J. (2004). Teaching and Developing Vocabulary: Key to Long-Term Reading Success. Current Research in Reading / Language Arts, 1-12. Retrieved March 9, 2016 from https://www.eduplace.com/marketing/nc/pdf/author_pages.pdf
Pligin, A. (2016). The concept and personally oriented techniques of foreign language teaching. Retrieved March 26, 2016 from http://www.multikulti.ru/Strategy/info/Strategy_info_243. Html
Kryzhko, V.V. (Ed.) (2005). Role of personally oriented teaching in providing social adaptation of students. Berdyans'k, Ukraine: BDPU.
GOST Style Citations
1. Birsh J.R. Multisensory Teaching of Basic Language Skills / J.R. Birsh. – Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Company, 2011. – 786 p.
2. Collins J.W. The Greenwood Dictionary of Education / J.W. Collins, N. O’Brien. – Greenwood: ABC-CLIO, LLC., 2011. – 581 p.
3. Ellis N.C. The Psychology of Foreign Language Vocabulary Acquisition: Implications for CALL / N.C. Ellis // International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL). Cognitive Aspects of Second Language Acquisition. – Hershey: IGI Publishing, 1995. – P.1-28.
4. Felder R.M. Learning and Teaching Styles in Foreign and Second Language Education / R.M. Felder, E.R. Henriques // Application of the F-S learning style model to language education. Foreign Language Annals. – American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, 1995. – 28 (1). – P. 21-31.
5. Fleming N.D. Teaching and learning styles: VARK strategies / N.D. Fleming. – Christchurch, 2011. – 128 p.
6. Kaplan E.J. Teaching and learning styles: Which came first? / E. J. Kaplan, D. A. Kies // Journal of Instructional Psychology. – V.U. Publishing Co., 1995. – 22(1). – P. 28-34.
7. Pikulski J.J. Teaching and Developing Vocabulary: Key to Long-Term Reading Success [Електронний ресурс] / J.J. Pikulski, S. Templeton // Current Research in Reading / Language Arts. – 2004. – 12 p. – Режим доступу: https://www.eduplace.com/marketing/nc/pdf/author_pages.pdf
8. Плигин А. Концепция и личностно-ориентированная технология обучения иностранным языкам [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: http://www. multikulti. ru/Strategy/info/Strategy_info_243.html
9. Роль особистісно орієнтованого спілкування в забезпеченні соціальної адаптації студентів: зб. наук. праць Бердянського державного педагогічного університету – (Педагогічні науки). – №4. / наук. ред. Крижко В. В. – Бердянськ: БДПУ, 2005. – 210 с.
- There are currently no refbacks.
Copyright (c) 2016 Journal of the National Technical University of Ukraine “KPI”: Philology and Educational Studies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
ISSN 2410-8278 (Online), ISSN 2307-1591 (Print)